Recipe Roundup: The Best Traditional Christmas Desserts
Christmas is a time for family, friends, and plenty of good food. If you're looking for some tried-and-true Christmas dessert recipes, you've come to the right place. In this blog post, we'll be rounding up some of the best traditional Christmas desserts. From Christmas cookies to yule logs to fruitcakes, we've got you covered! So sit back, relax, and get ready to indulge in some holiday sweetness.
Traditional Rum Cake Recipe
Rum cake, also known as rum bundt or rum wet cake, is a rich and moist cake that is infused with dark or light rum. It often features a glaze or topping made with additional rum and sugar. Some variations of the dessert also incorporate raisins or other dried fruits.
Traditionally, the cake is made by soaking the dried fruits in rum for several days or even weeks before incorporating them into the batter. The alcohol not only adds flavor but also helps keep the cake moist.
To make this delicious treat, you will need:
- 1 packet of vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 small package of instant vanilla pudding mix
- and ¾ cup dark rum
- To begin, preset your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs, pudding mix, and rum in a large mixing basin.
- Using an electric mixer, combine all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish or bundt pan that has been buttered.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes and if a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, it's done baking.
- Allow cooling before drizzling with a combination of 1/4 cup dark rum and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Plate and enjoy!
Traditional English Trifle Recipe
The traditional English trifle dessert is a layered dessert made with sponge cake, fruit (typically berries), and custard or pudding. It is often topped with whipped cream and decorated with additional fruits or nuts. This classic dessert dates back to the 16th century in England when it was originally made with savory ingredients such as meat and herbs before evolving into the sweeter version we know today.
To make a traditional English trifle,
- 1 pound of sliced pound cake or sponge cake
- 1 cup of raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup of sherry
- 2 cups of custard
- 1 cup of whipped cream
- 1/2 cup of mixed berries for topping.
- In a trifle dish, evenly spread the raspberry jam on top of the cut pound cake or sponge cake.
- After that, pour the sherry over the cake and soak it for about 10 minutes.
- Then, on top, add a layer of custard.
- Finally, before serving, top with whipped cream and mixed berries. Enjoy!
Ultimate Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe
There is no one ultimate sticky toffee pudding recipe, as it ultimately comes down to personal preference. However, a popular and delicious version includes dates in the batter for added texture and sweetness and a rich toffee sauce made with butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
Be sure to let the pudding sit for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld and the sauce to fully soak into the pudding. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra indulgent treat. Bon appétit!
For the ultimate sticky toffee pudding,
- 1 cup of dates
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 1/2 cup of butter (softened)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Set the temperature of the oven to 350°F and lightly butter a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Combine the dates and baking soda in a small basin. Pour boiling water over the mixture and put aside for 5 minutes before draining.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar in a separate mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence next, then add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the flour, salt, and cinnamon gradually until just mixed. Fold in the date mixture and pour into the baking dish that has been prepared.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- When completely cold, pour heavy cream on top and serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Hope you enjoy trying out these delicious dessert recipes! Don't forget to share your creations on social media. Happy baking!