National Nutrition Month – March 2017
Do you advocate healthy lifestyle and right nutrition? Does it matter for you what you as well as your nearest and dearest eat every day? Would you like to learn more about balanced diet and how to stick to it? If your answer is yes, then the spring of 2017 is going to provide you with a great opportunity to become a smarter and healthier eater! Marky’s Gourmet Online Store is happy to join the National Nutrition Month campaign and treat all customers with high-quality and nutritious foods. Let’s see how our rich assortment can help you build a healthy and delicious menu!
What Is the NNM Campaign?
More than 40 years ago, in 1973, the American Dietetic Association (ADA) launched the very first promotion and information campaign dedicated to the issues of public’s nutrition and health. It became known as National Nutrition Week. Dietetics professionals planned topical events in schools, local community centers and health care facilities. Within less than ten years the campaign proved amazingly popular among Americans, so in 1980 it was officially expanded into National Nutrition Month (or NNM).
Nowadays it is sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, that is by the former ADA, and involves thousands of qualified nutrition and dietetics practitioners, students and just all adherents of healthful eating. Annually, during March the Academy arranges various events with the aim of informing a large number of people on what exactly the right food choice should be, and inculcating physical activity plus sound nutrition habits.
March 2017: NNM Theme and Purpose
Every year the campaign is given a new theme which carries a particular idea – a key message to the whole public – and offers a range of effective solutions for implementing new and healthful eating style. This year the NNM organizers appeal to everybody to “Put Your Best Fork Forward” and look for the best diet options. Their main purpose is to remind us that we are responsible for our food choices, whether we cook at home or eat out. Besides, they strive to inspire people to change their habitual menus gradually, by making small alterations to daily eating and balancing the number of healthy nutrients in meals.
So, now we have a clear picture of the ideas on which the National Nutrition Month campaign is based and to which it sticks firmly. It is time to discover the soundest food options Marky’s provides all customers with! Let’s see what we have here!
Your Healthy Menu with Marky’s
Of course, we all know that a healthy balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. However, putting jokes aside, we cannot help paying attention to the food we eat every day. One of the main reasons why public’s nutrition has come into focus of such organizations as the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is not very optimistic unfortunately. The thing is that careless nutrition increases the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease, to name but a few. That is why it is vitally important to know what you eat, how you eat and how much you eat.
Here at Marky’s Gourmet Store we have selected the best and the most nourishing products, full of vitamins and minerals, which will greatly contribute to your everyday and festive menus! Let this March be healthy and happy with Marky’s!
Your Cheese at Marky’s
Here you will find a generous collection of low-fat cheeses which will add lots of perfect flavor to your meal and few calories to your entire daily menu.
- Parmesan is a wonderful ingredient for your healthful antipastos and soups.
- Mozzarella, as well as any Fresh Cheese from Marky's, will successfully accompany various morsels.
- Ricotta is probably the best dessert cheese when served with berries and honey.
- Chevre spread will become a great substitute for mayonnaise.
- Camembert with crackers and fruit will be a sumptuous appetizer for any occasion.
In case you cannot consume cheese and dairy, at Marky’s there are other sound food choices for you! Opt for canned fish: treat yourself with sublime canned sardines and tuna and stay sure of that balance in your diet.
More Proteins at Marky’s
Meat, fish, seafood and poultry are integral parts of what is called the right nutrition. Lavish sources of proteins and other essential nutrients, they should be always included into your menu.
- Pork tenderloin is a healthful gastronomic pleasure for meat aficionados.
- Salmon is an incredibly versatile fish which should take its rightful place in your diet.
- Duck breast is a great choice to say goodbye to flavorless poultry dishes. By the way, why not try it with plum sauce?
Your Oils and Vinegars at Marky’s
Oil is a ubiquitous ingredient in cooking. Not only does it add mouthwatering flavors to any dish, but also significantly influences their healthiness. So, your choice should be wise.
- Olive oil is believed to have heart healthy effects.
- Walnut oil is actually full of healthy anti-inflammatory and heart-friendly nutrients.
- Red wine vinegar contains no fat and can even reduce the risk of cancer.
Get the Healthiest Recipe Approved by the Academy
Sound diet can be truly gourmet! It is not only about carrots and low-fat milk. Try this wonderful recipe of brown rice risotto with shrimps and see for yourself what it means and how it tastes to eat healthy foods!
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary
- 3 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- 1 lb. raw shrimp
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion with garlic. Add rice and cook quickly for 2 minutes more. Stir constantly.
- Add ½ cup vegetable broth, rosemary, parsley and saffron. Stir well, cover and simmer.
- Add another ½ cup of broth when liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth until it is all used.
- While waiting for the rice to cook, bring one quart of water to a boil. Cook shrimp until pink. Drain and reserve.
- Before the rice is done, add ¼ cup cheese. When it is melted through, remove from heat. Add cooked shrimp to rice. Toss until combined.
- Top with remaining cheese and serve.
Enjoy your healthy meal!