The Most Festive Ideas for Your Best 4th of July Menu
That was the day when in the great book of the world’s history a new page was opened, and a new chapter was begun! It proclaimed the “self-evident truths” that “all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”. These lines refer to, probably, the most important and marvelous document in the American history – the Declaration of Independence, written largely by Thomas Jefferson and signed by the Founding Fathers of the United States of America on July 4, 1776, that is to say, exactly 240 years ago.
No wonder, this bright summer day has become one of our favorite national holidays. We know it either as the Independence Day, or the 4th of July, or just July 4, or the day of red, white and blue. According to Thomas Jefferson’s words “it ought to be celebrated by pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other”. Besides, it is a great time for us to remember who we all are and to feel proud of ourselves.
So, what can be better than spending this wonderful holiday with your nearest and dearest and treating them with something absolutely splendid? Here at Marky’s Gourmet Shop we have selected some delectable recipes for you to add an interesting zest to the traditional 4th of July barbeque and picnic. In our turn, we are glad to provide you with the premium quality ingredients for your best festive menu.
Warm up Your Appetite
It is nice to a have a light bite of a flavorful appetizer or salad while you are grilling the juicy steaks. Try these quick and easy Tomato Mozzarella Skewers to make an elegant and very delicious nibble.
All you need are these simple ingredients:
- fresh organic cherry tomatoes
- fresh organic basil
- Mozzarella cheese
- balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
To make the skewers:
- Cut the cheese into cubes.
- Thread the cherry tomatoes, Mozzarella cubes and basil onto the skewers in any order.
- Arrange the skewers on a plate and drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the skewers.
- Last, sprinkle a little sea salt and cracked pepper atop.
Last of all, enjoy!
And here is an amazing version of our traditional June 4 Potato Salad. Add you favorite blue cheese and turn it into a fabulous dish for your holiday dinner. Everything great is rather simple, isn’t it?
- 3 lb. red potatoes
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 small shallot
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 1/2 c. blue cheese
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 2 green onions
- 14 oz. watercress (for serving)
- Prepare your outdoor grill for direct grilling.
- Wash the potatoes and place them unpeeled into an 8-quart saucepot and add enough cold water to cover. Add 2 tablespoons salt and heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium and boil 10 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through but not soft. (You can test them by piercing a potato with a toothpick; when there is some resistance but the toothpick can slide all the way through, the potatoes should be drained immediately.)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the vinegar, minced shallot, mustard, blue cheese shredded as you like, and 1/3 cup oil. This blend will be the perfect vinaigrette.
Cut the boiled potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of each slice with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle them with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the potato slices on a hot grill grate. Grill 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides of slices. Turn over once.
- Place the watercress on a serving platter. Top it with potatoes and minced green onions. Drizzle the vinaigrette on top.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Two Original Ideas for Your Festive Burgers
Statistics is a funny thing. It can count even the approximate number of hamburgers we eat on the 4th of July each year. So, each and every Independence Day the whole country consumes not less than a few tens of millions of various burgers. Discover the following sublime burger recipes, and you will definitely believe in it.
Aloha Mini Beef Burger
- 1½ lb. ground chuck beef
- 2/3 cups your favorite barbecue sauce
- 3 tbsp. bread crumbs
- 1 pkg (12 oz. each) Hawaiian dinner rolls
- 3 slices (1 oz. each) Swiss cheese, quartered
- 1 can (8 oz. each) pineapple slices, drained (reserve juice), cut into thirds
- 6 slices of bacon or ham
- Preheat your grill for medium heat.
- Combine the barbecue sauce with 2 tablespoons pineapple juice from the can. Mix the beef and bread crumbs. Add 1/3 cup of the barbeque sauce and juice blend to the mixture.
- Place the pineapple slices in bowl with remaining barbeque sauce mixture and set aside.
- Grill the beef patties 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through (160°F). Meanwhile, remove the rolls from the package BUT do NOT separate them. Cut in half horizontally and toast on grill.
- Remove the pineapple slices from the barbeque sauce mixture and grill them for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Separate toasted rolls and assemble sliders. Spread the remaining barbecue sauce mixture on the rolls. Place a small piece of lettuce and then the patties on the bottom halves of the rolls. Top with cheese, bacon or ham, and pineapples. Close with the tops of the rolls.
Chicken Parmesan Burger
- 1½ lb. ground chicken fillet
- 1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 4 slices fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 4 sourdough rolls
- mayonnaise (for serving)
- fresh basil (for serving)
- tomato (for serving)
- Combine the ground chicken, grated Parmesan, minced garlic cloves and oregano. Shape into 4 (4-inch) patties. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Grill the patties covered, over medium-high heat until cooked through (3 to 4 min. per side). Then top the patties with 4 slices fresh Mozzarella and grill them covered, until melted (1 to 2 min.).
- Serve on grilled sourdough rolls with mayonnaise, basil and tomato.
Red, White & Blue Dessert
Original patriotic summer cheesecake will be an outstanding last act of your June 4 party and the wonderful end of this great day!
Almond Cheesecake Tart
For cracker crust:
- 1/2 c. slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 11 graham crackers
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1½ package cream cheese
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Plus raspberries and blueberries for garnish
Preheat your oven to 375° F. Prepare the cracker crust: in your food processor with knife blade attached, pulse almonds with sugar until finely ground; then add crackers and pulse until fine crumbs form. Pour in melted butter and pulse until moistened. With hand, press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and up side of an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Bake the crust 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Reset oven control to 350° F. Prepare the cheese filling: in a medium bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth, occasionally scraping bowl with your rubber spatula. Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat until combined.
Pour the cheese mixture into the cooled crust. Bake 20 minutes or until set. Cool the tart on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate the tart at least 2 hours.
Before serving, arrange berries decoratively on the top of the tart for garnish.
We wish you Happy Independence Day, enjoy your holiday time and meal!