The Viral Phenomenon of Butterboards: Gourmet Boarding with a Twist
Butter boards are the latest viral sensation to sweep the internet. What are butter boards? They are essentially gourmet boarding with a twist. Instead of using a charcuterie board, which is limited to meats and cheeses, butter boards allow you to use a variety of different ingredients to create a culinary masterpiece. Not only are butter boards visually appealing, but they also taste amazing! In this blog post, we will discuss the history of butter boards, why they have become so popular, and how you can create your own gourmet butter board recipe.
What are Butter Boards?
Butter boards are a type of cutting board that is specifically designed for cutting and spreading butter. They usually have a raised lip or groove around the edge to catch any excess butter, and they often have measurements printed on them so you can easily see how much butter you're using. Some butter boards even have a built-in knife! Butter boards can be made from a variety of materials, but they're most commonly made from wood or plastic.
History of Butter Boards
Butterboards have a long and storied history that dates back to the early days of American butter production. In the early 1800s, most butter was made by small farmers who sold their products at local markets. The butter was usually wrapped in cloth or placed in wooden tubs, which made it difficult to transport and store.
To solve this problem, a man named John Neilsen invented the butter board.
The buttering board was a small, flat piece of wood with a groove around the edge. This groove held a cloth or paper wrapper that could be used to transport the butter. The boards were often stored in cool cellars or basements, which kept the butter fresh.
Today, butter boards are no longer used in commercial butter production and are now used to show off a person's aesthetic skills and taste palettes. However, they can still be found in some old-fashioned butter shops and homes. If you're lucky enough to come across one, it makes a great addition to your kitchen!
Why are Butter Boards all the Rage!
If you're looking for a unique and impressive appetizer or party dish, look no further than the butter board. Butter boards, also known as cheese boards, are becoming increasingly popular because of their versatility and visual appeal. Here are four reasons why butter boards are better than charcuterie boards:
- First, butter boards can be customized to suit any taste. You just need to choose your butter and then get some bread or mix flavors in and have it as is.
- Second, butter boards are easy to make. All you need is a cutting board, some cheese knives, and a little bit of time.
- Third, butter boards are perfect for any occasion. Whether you're hosting a dinner party or a casual get-together, a butter board will be sure to impress your guests.
- Fourth, and most importantly, butter boards are delicious! The combination of different flavors and textures makes for an irresistible dish that will have your guests coming back for seconds.
Gourmet Butter Board- Butternut Squash & Maple Syrup
- 2tbs of olive oil
- 1 cup of cubed butternut squash,
- 1 cup of cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 C room temperature salted butter
- 8–10 sage leaves deep-fried
- 14 cups of coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons salted pumpkin seeds for sprinkling on crackers, crostini, and toast
1) Prepare the Squash:
Heat the olive oil to a medium-high temperature in a saute pan. Add the diced squash and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until it is soft. Stir in the maple syrup, then add it to the squash. After cooling to room temperature, set aside.
After the squash has cooled, begin putting your board together. The butter should be at room temperature. Spread it all over the board. Add the bacon jam next by dotting it evenly throughout the butter in places (about a teaspoon at a time, see photos for reference).
Spread the butter all over the squash because you don't want the butter to melt, make sure it is at room temperature.
Butter boards are a great way to impress your guests and show off your culinary skills. They're easy to make, customizable, and perfect for any occasion. Plus, they're delicious! So next time you're looking for a unique appetizer or party dish, be sure to try a butter board/ charcuterie board. Your guests will thank you.