Shrimp Scampi- A Delicious History and the Best Recipe
Do you love seafood? If so, you're probably familiar with shrimp scampi. This classic dish has a delicious history that spans centuries. Shrimp scampi is the perfect meal for any occasion- it's simple to make and always tastes great. In this blog post, we will share our favorite shrimp scampi recipe with you. So sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Shrimp Scampi is a classic Italian-American dish that has been around for centuries. The dish consists of shrimp, garlic, butter, white wine, and lemon juice. It's commonly served over rice or pasta.
History of Shrimp Scampi
The history of Shrimp Scampi is quite interesting. The dish is said to have originated in the 14th century in the Italian city of Genoa. It was originally made with crayfish, but eventually, shrimp became the main ingredient.
Some say that shrimp scampi was invented in the United States, while others claim that it originated in Italy. No one can really say for sure who invented this classic dish.
Hannah Glasse, England's first ever recognized domestic Goddess, the Georgian version of Nigella Lawson, was the first to document a scampi recipe. In her cookbook, The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy, she wrote about a dish called "To Make Shrimp Scampi." This dish consisted of boiled shrimp that were then fried in butter and served with a garnish of lemon.
It wasn't until the 1950s that shrimp scampi really started to become popular in the United States. It was during this time that restaurants like Shrimp Scampi, Inc. started popping up all over the country. It is said that these restaurants were responsible for making shrimp scampi a household name.
Today, shrimp scampi is a classic dish that can be found on the menus of many Italian restaurants. Shrimp Scampi made its way to America in the early 20th century and has been a popular dish ever since.
This classic Shrimp Scampi recipe is the perfect way to enjoy this delicious dish. The shrimp are cooked in a garlic butter sauce and served over a bed of pasta. This dish is sure to please everyone at your next dinner party.
The Classic Shrimp Scampi Recipe
If you're looking for a delicious Shrimp Scampi recipe, look no further! This classic shrimp dish is sure to please everyone at your next dinner party. For a complete meal, serve it along with pasta or rice.
- ½ pound (250 grams) of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (120 ml) of your favorite white wine
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound (250 grams) of spaghetti or linguine
- ¼ cup (60 grams) of butter
- minced garlic cloves
- parsley leaves, for garnish
- lemon slices, for garnish
1. To start, bring a large pot of water to a boil and season it with salt. Add the pasta to a large saucepan, bring it to a boil over high heat, and then simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain the excess water from the pasta and set the pasta aside.
2. In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, white wine, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook the shrimp until they are opaque and cooked through, about 7-8 minutes.
3. Once the shrimp are cooked, remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and set them aside. Take the same pan and start melting the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook it until it is fragrant, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the cooked pasta to the pan and toss it with the garlic butter sauce. Be sure to add a little bit of the cooking water to help create a smooth sauce.
5. Add the shrimp back into the pan and toss everything together. To make it even more exciting garnish with some lemon slices and parsley.. Serve immediately. Enjoy!