Mother’s Day Gourmet Surprises from Marky’s
May 12, Mother’s Day, must be the right date to pamper your mom with fulfilling at least one of her wishes. Think about what she really needs but boasts that she can go without it. Remember what she really likes but will never buyherself because she has more essential expenses to pay. Do you have any ideas going beyond flowers, cosmetics, and housewares?
Let Marky’s assist you in choosing an original gourmet gift that will surprise your mom, please her palate, and make the holiday truly memorable to her.
For Mother’s Day 2019, Marky’s has come up with the collections of the freshest delicacies from all over the world. Treat your mom to fragrance of Italy, piquancy of Spain, pungency of France, tanginess of Norway, or savor of the homeland, the United States. Or mix different delis and bring your mom the whole world of tastes and flavors in one gift basket.
Fragrant Italian Surprise
Having a family dinner at a cozy Italian restaurant is also a perfect idea. Just book a table in advance. But what about giving your mom a small delicious personal gift?
The variety of Italian cheeses and meats provides multiple choices of textures, aromas, and tastes, allowing to experiment with their combinations. And if your mom has a favorite among Italian wines, it will definitely be great company for the other delicacies.
Let’s start with cheeses. If you happened to forget the name of a cheese your mom dreams to try, check the list below.
- Parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano has remained the most famous Italian cheese in the U.S. for many years. Parmesan is an aged cheese and has a hard texture, which pleases the taste buds with a creamy and mushroomy savor.
- Provolone, with semi-firm texture and buttery though spicy taste, will be a wonderful match to Parmesan in the gift basket. By the way, both cheeses perfectly pair with Chianti and Pinot Grigio.
- Grana Padano is a decent alternative to Parmesan if your mom is already familiar with this King of Cheeses. Grana has an interesting grainy texture that melts smoothly as soon as it touches the tongue, revealing a sweet fruity flavor.
- Blue-veined Gorgonzola will complement sweetness of Grana Padano with its tangy nuttiness. Classically, Gorgonzola is served with fresh pears or pear spread. So, now you know what to do if your mom prefers classic.
- Burrata with truffles is the right option if your mom has already tried Mozzarella. Burrata means “buttery” in Italian, and this name is the best description for the cheese. Meanwhile, truffled Burrata doesn’t need any description – there is probably no word to describe the perfect combination of the cheese creaminess and truffle pungency.
If your mom is a meat aficionado, pamper her with traditional Italian prosciutto or pancetta. The main difference between them is that prosciutto is made from the pig’s hind leg, while pancetta is made from the pork belly. Both prosciutto and pancetta are cured with salt and spices. And both meats wonderfully pair with any Italian cheese.
Still, cheese and meat seem a too everyday pairing. Let’s make it special and festive with
- this gluten-free truffled honey
- this spread from figs, blueberries, and caramelized onions
- this fig condiment with port wine and vinaigrette
- or with Italian truffled olive oils and balsamic vinegars.
Piquant Spanish Surprise
Visiting Spain may be time-, nerve-, and thought-consuming. But tasting Spain appears much more convenient and affordable. If your mom has always wanted to try original Spanish specialties, with your love and care she can enjoy them at home, while planning her trip to the homeland of flamenco and corrida.
Surely, Jamon or Chorizo and a bottle of Cava or Manzanilla have hardly any rivals in Spanish gastronomy. But if you’d still like to add something else to this beautiful pairing, here are a few non-meat options:
- Spanish olives, which are known for being rich in heart-healthy fats and antioxidants
- caramelized artichokes, which play as great protectors of the heart, liver, bones, and brain health
- manually roasted sweet red peppers, the lavish source of vitamins A, C and B6.
An assortment of gluten-free Spanish cheeses will also play as both a healthy and sumptuous Mother’s Day gift:
- Manchego cheese is made from sheep’s milk and appreciated for its healthfulness and flavor. Manchego is a powerhouse of proteins concealed in its supple texture and tangibly sweet taste.
- Idiazabal will harmoniously match with and complete Manchego or any other Spanish cheese. Smokey and nutty hints in its flavor distinguish Idiazabal from its Spanish siblings and turn it into a unique and healthy delicacy.
- Tetilla is a succulent artisan cheese from Galicia, the region known as the “country of the thousand rivers,” located in the north-west of Spain. Tetilla is smooth, spreadable, creamy, but pungent and a little bitter. If your mom prefers such contradicting flavor combinations, she’s going to like this cheese and ask you to bring more for the next holiday.
Pungent French Surprise
If your mom is a connoisseur of good old French wine and comedy, French fashion and music, a nice basket of traditional French delicacies looks like the best gift for Mother’s Day.
Although the Eiffel Tower may be our first association with France, strange but scrumptious food is definitely the second one. The choice of treats is huge. But this time, let’s limit it to these three options: truffles, escargots, and cheeses.
Winter and summer black truffles play as flavorful supplements for various dishes, and will help your mom do her culinary magic, turning simple products into heavenly pastas, salads, stuffed meats, or whatever your family likes. And if your mom wants to keep the jar of truffles for a more special occasion, the delicacy can wait for this occasion for a whole year.
The to-eat list and gift basket of a true foodie must also include French escargots, maybe in garlic sauce. Despite the fact that this French specialty may unobtrusively remind you of that famous (or notorious) scene with amazing Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, eating escargots can be quite simple and enjoyable. Or at least your mom and you can try to repeat that movie scene at the restaurant and have a hearty laugh.
To compensate possible inconveniences with escargots, you can add two or three French cheeses to the gift basket. Now, all you need to do is choose them.
- Chevres, or goat cheeses like Picandou Frais and Buchette Jacquin, are great solutions for your mom’s healthy menu, even if she may have intolerance to dairy from cow’s milk. By the way, chevres get along with Sancerre and Sauvignon.
- A few slices of blue-veined cheeses like Roquefort after late dinner will bring more harmony into the end of your mom’s busy day, especially if the blue is paired with sweet Sauternes.
- Brie and Brie-style cheeses with red Burgundy can be another dessert to put a nice and tasty finishing touch to a cool rainy day. And we mean not only the weather here.
- Triple cream cheeses, with Brillat Savarin and Delice de Bourgogne among them, accompanied by a sparkling wine, will make your mom’s “professional” holiday continue for a few days more.
Tangy Norwegian Surprise
Smoked salmon fillets and Gravlax prepared according to traditional Scandinavian recipes will be a fabulous Mother’s Day gift.
Salmon is one of the latest trends of healthy diet and lifestyle. So, if your mom is following it, she will appreciate such deli present from you. The culinary versatility and health benefits of salmon are legendary and need hardly any additional comments.
Attach a nice card to the gift box, and don’t forget to put a bottle of dry Riesling into it. This wine will reveal the best flavors of the fish, as well as of any other treat.
Savory U.S. Surprise
How about time-tested caviar and foie gras from certified American manufacturers? This is an ideal gastronomical duo that will bring a special atmosphere and flavor to the holiday.
Jut persuade your dear generous mom not to share the delicious gift with each and every one around the festive table. Let her enjoy the whole diversity of caviar and foie gras savors on her own or together with your dad. If some of your relatives show interest in your mom’s gourmet gift, you will know what to bring them for their birthdays.
Whatever you are going to present your mom on Mother’s Day this year, make sure she will receive it from you, and not from a courier. Wrap your gift in the time you’ll spend with your mom, the words you’ll her, and the hug you’ll give her.
Marky’s wishes you and your family a happy and warm Mother’s Day 2019!