Grilled Gourmet Sausages with Vegetables
The best gourmet sausages from Marky's on Labor Day Special Offers page - 10% off coupon: LABOR
The key to perfectly cooked gourmet sausages on the grill is to start them in a moist bath of flavorful toppings, slow cooking them to infuse them with flavor and get an even cook, then finishing them off over the hot side to crisp and char them.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/4-inch strips (about 2 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, stem and core removed, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 green bell peppers, stem and core removed, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds sweet or hot gourmet sausages
- Buns for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned in spots, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar. Remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, set half the burners on a gas grill to the highest heat setting, cover, and preheat for 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
- Transfer pepper mixture to a 10-inch square disposable aluminum pan. Alternatively, construct a tray out of a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil, 10 inches square, with sides about 2 inches high. Nestle sausages into pepper mixture.
- Place tray on hot side of grill and cook until simmering, about 4 minutes. Slide to cooler side of grill. Cover grill with vents over the sausages. Cook with all vents open until sausages register 140° to 145°F on an instant read thermometer, about 20 minutes, turning once in the middle.
- Remove lid. Using tongs, remove sausages from peppers and place directly on cooking grates over hot side of grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until well browned and crisp, about 3 minutes total. Return to peppers. Toast buns over hot side of grill if desired. Serve sausages with buns and sweet and sour peppers.