Poached Oysters with Caviar & Champagne Sauce
Oysters and caviar are both considered to be aphrodisiacs; combine the two and these are sure to pack a punch ! These oysters are drizzled with a champagne sauce to even further enhance the dish. You can use any black caviar you prefer but we suggest Karat Russian Osetra.
- 12 fresh Oysters in their shells
- 10 fl oz. fish stock
- 10 fl. oz dry Champagne
- 2 tbsp. Creme Fraiche or Double Cream
- 2 oz. diced butter
- 4 oz. Karat Russian Osetra Caviar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash the oysters and open them with a short sharp knife over a bowl, retaining the liquid from the shells. Cut the muscle and remove the oysters, stand up in a sieve over a bowl. Keep the shells apart and wash them thoroughly.
- In a saucepan, bring the oyster juice, fish stock, Champagne and seasoning briskly to a boil and allow the sauce to reduce. Stir in two tablespoons of creme fraiche or double cream until boiling, then add the oysters for one minute. Remove the oysters with a slotted spoon to keep warm.
- Strain, return to saucepan and return to a boil. Remove sauce from heat, whisk in diced butter until smooth and then add a glass of champagne and whisk again to lighten the sauce.
- On a warm serving dish, spread a generous layer of rock salt. Place half the shells onto it and place an oyster in each: spoon on the sauce and top each oyster with a teaspoon of caviar.
Serves 4 - Serve with a brute Champagne and Enjoy !