Caviar Guide by Marky’s
Salmon Roe from $3.80
Salmon Roe or Ikura Wild is one of nature's gifts, a food that is both delicious and wholesome. Known often as "red caviar," as it is every bit as precious and delicious as the more universally recognized "black" Sturgeon caviar, it is also well known in Asia as "ikura," a Japanese transliteration of "ikra," the Russian word for processed roe. After this product's enticing flavor, its most attractive aspect is the surprisingly affordable red caviar price.
Salmon Roe Chum – “Keta” Caviar profile
Salmon roe is also known as Red Caviar, salmon caviar is not of a lesser value than caviar obtained from sturgeon.
- Vivid orange color, flashes of read
- Giant individual beads
- Crisp bursting pearls
- Clean fresh water flavor
- Long creamy finish
- Incredible on crusty French bread with crème fraiche
Drinks: Ice cold vodka or dry white wine.
Suggested use: Keta Caviar makes a wonderful appetizer served on a blini or toast with a dollop of crème fraiche. Keta is commonly used as “ikura” in high end Japanese restaurants. It makes a great accompaniment to any salmon dish, whether it’s served cold or hot. Keta caviar will add a splendor of colors to any holiday dinner, party or catering. It also can be served on a warm, crusty French baguette with butter or with eggs for breakfast. Common accompaniments for Keta are boiled eggs or baked potatoes with sour cream, onions and parsley. Keta caviar also makes an excellent addition to any spread or caviar dip. Keta Caviar should not be suggested to newcomers because of its intense flavor and crisp bursting beads. However this is what makes it so desirable by many caviar connoisseurs.
Note: Keta caviar does not need a CITES permit for export. There are also other varieties of salmon roe, but they are of a lesser value due to the darker red color, stronger flavor and smaller pearls.
The Salmon Roe for sale is harvested from different members of this plentiful family caught or raised in the northern Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, and in the adjoining countries, such as the US, Canada, and France. This roe features bright and large beads that combine flavor and wholesomeness for a colorful accent to gourmet cuisine. It is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and powerful antioxidants, making this gourmet treat beneficial as well as delicious. The tight and translucent eggs of Salmon caviar vary in color from red to bright orange, with a red "eye." They stand out to perfection against the background of toast or blinis with Creme Fraiche, and can be used to add color to exquisite salads or hors d'oeuvres. Salmon roe delivers absolute delight with its fresh and briny flavor, and the wallet-friendly Salmon caviar price can make indulgence in this delicacy an everyday event.
At Marky's Gourmet Store we carry
- Alaskan Salmon Roe Caviar "Malossol" stands in the ranks of the most highly valued roe. The succulent eggs are medium to large in size, their color is red-orange with a just visible small eye. Its envelope is medium crisp, and the beads easily burst in the mouth with a medium salty, oily brine, unleashing the mild flavor of the fresh Salmon.
- Salmon Roe Keta Caviar boasts unusually large, gloriously shining eggs. The envelope is translucent and firm, concealing a honey-like and sweet juice of a rich golden-orange color that glistens attractively in the light.
- Pink Trout Roe Caviar is a product harvested from farmed pink trout from France. The medium sized eggs have a bold flavor, strong without being too fishy. The semi-translucent orange beads are characterized by an orange-red eye.
- Coho Salmon Roe is a fresh roe caught wild in Canada. Along with its incredibly rich and fresh sea flavor, it is filled with wholesome vitamins, minerals, nutritive elements, and acidic oils. The Malossol method of preparation only emphasizes the incredible flavor. The red-orange beads are large and translucent with juicy brine inside.
- Smoked Trout Roe is one of the true delicacies among this assortment of high quality products. The best Trout roe caviar is prepared in the Malossol fashion before it is smoked with fruit woods to emphasize the briny taste of the Trout and add a light smoky savor. Smoking also produces more viscous eggs. This Trout caviar is a true delight for everyday indulgence!
Over the past two decades, the amount of farmed Salmon caviar for sale has at times outnumbered the caviar sourced from wild-caught fish, allowing a significant quantity of this high quality product to be available at an affordable price. Moreover, a greater reliance on aquaculture reduces the impact of the gourmet industry on wild populations of fish, making luxury sustainable as well as glamorous.
Salmon Keta (Oncorhynchus Keta), also known as “chum salmon”, “dog salmon” or “pacific salmon”. It is an anadromous fish that travels more than 2,000 miles to spawn. Keta lives up to 6-7 years and reaches sexual maturity at the age of 5. Keta grows up to 3.6 feet and normally weights 8-15 lb. The spawning period is November through January.